Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting down a tree.....my neighbors....?

Cutting down a tree.....my neighbors....?

So, my neighbor has this oak tree. It's big. And it's encroaching on my property, bulging through my fence line, and starting to crack my concrete.

I have talked with my neighbors a few times, but they keep saying it's due to the permit that needs to happen. Well, the permit is CHEAP, it's the cost of the removal that is PRICEY.

I need it removed. Do I help pay for it? Do I get it done, and wait for them to pay me back? (I know, get it in writing). I just do not want a bigger issue if the tree is not removed. I so don't want to spend the funds to get this done. But what choice do I have?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes to be a peacemaker, putting the relationship first, we go an extra mile.....if this thorn is causing you to resent your neighbors, take it down....with their permission of course....relationships are most important....

Blog Entries
    I had a similar problem many years ago

First thing is to check council by-laws to see where you stand legally so you know your position

Our neighbour was a grumpy gnarly fellow and we wanted his large tree down so my wife and I decided to pay for the cost 100% of cutting and removal as an act of goodwill
    We prayed and committed to God

I approached him and told him our plan and said we would pay for everything. He must of been shocked and probably never had anyone do something like that and he said he would pay 50% of the price.

We were very happy as it did cost a bit of money - we were both working at the time so could afford the total cost if he didn't contribute.
    I could of made a huge issue legally and probably won but didn't feel it was worth all the trouble and better to keep the peace.

I know a christian man who had this issue with his neighbour and threw all his branches over the fence and they eventually sorted it out - in the middle of the street
    in a fist fight. I of course had to ask if he won the fight as that was important

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

Redeemed (03-18-2017)

I had an argument with a difficult neighbor about a fence that he wanted replaced. So we discussed paying 50/50 and him doing the work. He didn't like it so later I offered 67/33 and then he volunteered to do what I originally suggested. He's from Morocco, I don't know if that has something to do with it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Redeemed (03-18-2017)

You could drive a copper nail into your side of the tree. That should kill it. I think what's on your side of the fence is legally yours.

Tom.. sounds like something a friend did. The tree was actually ON the property line and as it grew, it became impossible to fence around it.
    So my friend's dad wanted it down.. neighbor refused.. eventually Dad cut down his half.

true story.

(neighbor was not a happy camper)

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
    I have talked with my neighbors a few times, but they keep saying it's due to the permit that needs to happen. Well, the permit is CHEAP, it's the cost of the removal that is PRICEY.
    Maybe get some written estimates for the removal of the tree and show them to your neighbor...then offer to pay for the permit?

Can we just back up a minute here.

the tree is on her neighbors property, moving into her's.

He's obligated to take care of it before it tears up her cement.

Redeemed shouldn't have to do ANY of it. She has other important places to spend her bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Femme* View Post

Redeemed shouldn't have to do ANY of it. She has other important places to spend her bucks.
    Aaaww my friend.

He is obligated. He lost his job (about two weeks ago) not sure how he would pay for it. Scared to have the funds be a "loan". because he can't commit to when he could pay me back. I am okay with that. I need it down. To protect my home. It's alot of money to fork out. But it's just the way it is.

I do have other things to spend money on, but this is just going to be one of them. It will happen. sadly, I have to take care of it. For now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Femme* View Post

All true but if he doesn't pay what then