Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Do you ever fast?

I may fast from food for 3/4 day and only drink coffee. What I'm concerned with is that people distort the emphasis that the Bible authors placed on various issues and make too much out of one component. If people want to tithe voluntarily because they tithed several times in the old covenant then that will bring in money to good causes and that is good. If people want to focus a lot on fasting from food because it works well for them then that is a personal thing but the emphasis that the Bible places on related themes ensures that there is a lot more yet to be extracted from those other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan david View Post
    Colonel, you have a big list here - all good "direction" and "practices". And I will accept that you are not trying to "diminish" fasting. Why can't we say here that believers who, of course, accept all your list for Christian living IN CONJUNCTION with FOOD FASTING have found the combination to be a powerful one.

IOW, the Scriptures do not always make these interconnections on practices and how they all work together per se (there are simply too many permutations possible).

If there has been ample "discovery" by those who fast food, that it is a powerful catalyst for the Spirit to accelerate their growth/experience in God, why not allow that this is one of those "empirical" biblical-based "combination" truths that many have been blessed in participating? I would posit that our reaction be, "Amen, that is great brother. I am going to fasting AND walk in the spirit AND "Present my body as a living sacrifice" as my special TRIPLE PLAY this week." There is nothing unbiblical with this being a spirit-driven operative in discovery of the experiential treasures that God has us to discover.

BTW, do you fast food yourself?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

curly sue (03-12-2017), Jonathan david (03-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    I fast Brussel sprouts and lambs brains
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    Umm Colonel...per my opening post, this thread is specifically about fasting from food yet in every one of your posts here so far you have been diverting from that and advocating types of spiritual fasting instead.

Methinks thou doth protest too much...crucify that flesh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    I'm not protesting at all. If you read them closely you will see that I'm discussing fasting from food in relation to the other forms of fasting.

Technically you didn't mention food in your opening post though one would assume that that was what you were (mainly) referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Generally speaking, when the Bible speaks of fasting, it is talking about abstaining from food...
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Colonel, any time one of these fasting threads come up, you always overtake it with posts almost trying to prove anything other than fasting. I don't know if it's because you don't fast food, and feel some need to justify it or what. But this happens every time. It just gets old trying to discuss fasting in a thread with you obliterating the thread with massive posts that you think are proving that fasting food really isn't a big deal spiritually/physically speaking. Not sure what root that comes from.

All those are good posts and scriptural, but really irrelevant to the discussion, other than to apparently prove there really isn't much benefit to fasting food.
    Colonel you do do well in going into depth on subjects but we have noticed that you do seem to always try to deflect from (food) fasting every time the subject comes up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

fuego (03-13-2017)

To the contrary I'd say that posters have deflected from the stuff I have posted on fasting from food in this thread. I can quote those parts if you wish.

* Toxic Troll - Negative Nancy Farm Truck's Avatar
    you do seem to always try to deflect from (food) fasting every time the subject comes up
    Maybe he's just not hungry right now