Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can preachers be too repetitive?

Blog Entries

Can preachers be too repetitive?

...a few years back in a discussion about a new book by Bill Johnson I recall some saying it seems once you read the first one or 2 the message became repetitive...

Funny thing is I attended my church in GA for over 10 years and although their were moments of revelation the message was very similar...I think this is because as we mature in the Lord we begin to recognize the simplicity of the Word and all that varies is the method of delivery....

Not saying deeper revelation does not come from it, it can and should...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

curly sue (03-12-2017), Ezekiel 33 (03-13-2017)

The Word contains enough information and depth for thousands of different sounding messages but some things are worth repeating often. If things get too repetive it could be the hearer focusing on what is repeated rather than on new details but it could also be that the preacher isn't bothering to preach the full counsel of God.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Actually I get what you are saying here...a few years back in a discussion about a new book by Bill Johnson I recall some saying it seems once you read the first one or 2 the message became repetitive...

Funny thing is I attended my church in GA for over 10 years and although their were moments of revelation the message was very similar...I think this is because as we mature in the Lord we begin to recognize the simplicity of the Word and all that varies is the method of delivery....

Not saying deeper revelation does not come from it, it can and should...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

curly sue (03-12-2017), Ezekiel 33 (03-13-2017), Quest (02-24-2017)

Blog Entries
    Yes..looking at a panoramic of scripture we see there is a unity of message and yet a diversity or unlimited application...I just think people get bored when they cease receiving revelation or even when they reach the point where they believe the various preachers 'can't teach us anything new'. I guess I wonder if the problem is not so much the repetitiveness of preachers but the openness of the hearers?

Also sometimes I think the Lord can't take a body to a new level because they are not getting the level they are on..

Then as scripture and human nature warn us...we can get caught up in needing and desiring some new thing to intrigue our minds rather than the still small voice of the Spirit...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (03-13-2017)

Messages that will be applied in someone's life have a greater chance of being made alive by the anointing of the Spirit. Adding to head knowledge gets boring and things start to sound repetive quickly.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

curly sue (03-12-2017), Ezekiel 33 (03-13-2017), Quest (02-24-2017)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    ...a few years back in a discussion about a new book by Bill Johnson I recall some saying it seems once you read the first one or 2 the message became repetitive...

BJ has certainly had a positive impact on the church and I would recommend him but I admit he can get repetitive and cliched but so can many preachers
    Some people like that but others need a greater variety of messages

Maybe it's because most believers aren't getting it. Most are still having the same issues for years, so maybe when we grow spiritually, we can move on to "deeper" messages. JS
    When your praise match your prayers, the answer will come.
    https://www.facebook.com/Valiant-Wom...1103844642026/

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valiant Woman For This Useful Post:

Jonathan david (03-11-2017), victoryword (03-13-2017)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Woman View Post
    Maybe it's because most believers aren't getting it. Most are still having the same issues for years, so maybe when we grow spiritually, we can move on to "deeper" messages. JS
    That was one of the things I was thinking. What's the saying? 'Repetition is the mother of learning.' As much as we understand the word and give it mental assent, nothing is a 'true' revelation unless we actually live that revelation. Just giving mental assent and then not living according to that 'Bible fact' isn't really revelation at all.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (03-13-2017), Jonathan david (03-11-2017), victoryword (03-13-2017)

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John's Avatar
    1 Corinthians 2:4 My message and my preaching were not with persuasive words of wisdom, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power,

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

curly sue (03-12-2017), Ezekiel 33 (03-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    That was one of the things I was thinking. 'What's the saying? Repetition is the mother of learning.' As much as we understand the word and give it mental assent, nothing is a 'true' revelation unless we actually live that revelation. Just giving mental assent and then not living according to that 'Bible fact' isn't really revelation at all.
    Repetition with differences in details and nuances can be a great way to learn. I recently read the gospels of Mark, Luke and Matthew in a couple of weeks with their audiences in mind (Romans, Greeks, Jews) and that is the impression I'm left with.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (03-13-2017), Jonathan david (03-11-2017)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Repetition with differences in details and nuances can be a great way to learn.
    Exactly.