Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BeeKeeping

Blog Entries

BeeKeeping

I have had my eye on the Flo Hive ever since someone posted info on it in the old forum..

I have been doing some reading and watching a few videos and wondered if anyone here has hives?

http://www.honeyflow.com/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-24-2015)

my daughter has been taking classes… but in LA you can't have hives, as yet.

she loves it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Femme* For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-24-2015)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Femme* View Post
    my daughter has been taking classes… but in LA you can't have hives, as yet.

she loves it!
    I found some classes scheduled by Alabama Beekeepers...seems to be a good resource...

http://www.alabamabeekeepers.com/

I was reading on some blogs and some were hailing the idea of keeping low profile with shrubs or the 'style' and having a fence, which we do.

One poor guy said a neighbors dogs kept trespassing and getting stung. He found his bees all dead one day; he was convinced the killed them..

So anyway I have gathered enough info that I am close to being ready to take the leap...get the hive...research the bees and take the class in Feb and be ready next Spring...

I really believe I will enjoy it...

Where does she take the classes? Are they thinking of moving one day so she can have her own hives?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-24-2015)

the girl has a FB and website.. but I'll have to get the name.. she's in San Diego, I think..

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Femme* For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-24-2015), Quest (08-25-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    I have had my eye on the Flo Hive ever since someone posted info on it in the old forum..
    That was one of the most amazing inventions I'd seen in a while. Here's the original video in case anyone missed it:

Quest, what made you interested in this? Do you really like honey?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    That was one of the most amazing inventions I'd seen in a while. Here's the original video in case anyone missed it:

Quest, what made you interested in this? Do you really like honey?
    Thank you for posting the video..

Yes, I do like honey..I believe it is one of God's super foods..

But what got me interested in beekeeping is my journey that seemed to begin a few years ago with 'downsizing'. Embedded in that process of lessons was the concept of becoming somewhat a survivalist. So when I retire next Feb I intend to have a workable size garden...we have a boat for fishing...and beekeeping is a good way to let nature do some of that work...

I am also thinking of planting white clover in my small yard..it grows low and only needs cutting twice a year and can grow in less than desirable soil and feed the bees!

I am also interested in edible wildflowers and actually LIKE Daylily flowers in a salad or as a snack..So I intend to have some of those in my garden to also draw the bees which keep away insects from the vegs...I read yesterday that rabbits like clover and will go after it instead of the garden..

So far the concept if a little eco friendly sustainable yard..

So yes...I like honey!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (09-28-2015)

Blog Entries
    Right now they Flow Hive is offering a free upgrade to cedar siding and it's really pretty...

Oh yea...I have the perfect spot for a hive...it is very close to water and I have a fence..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (09-28-2015)

But what got me interested in beekeeping is my journey that seemed to begin a few years ago with 'downsizing'. Embedded in that process of lessons was the concept of becoming somewhat a survivalist. So when I retire next Feb I intend to have a workable size garden...we have a boat for fishing...and beekeeping is a good way to let nature do some of that work...

I am also thinking of planting white clover in my small yard..it grows low and only needs cutting twice a year and can grow in less than desirable soil and feed the bees!

I am also interested in edible wildflowers and actually LIKE Daylily flowers in a salad or as a snack..So I intend to have some of those in my garden to also draw the bees which keep away insects from the vegs...I read yesterday that rabbits like clover and will go after it instead of the garden..

So far the concept if a little eco friendly sustainable yard..
    There is a local youtuber's channel that I love to watch. Her channel is called MichiganSnowPony and she's really into homesteading on a small scale. She's even raises rabbits for meat and has done the hives too, here's her link:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Michigansnowpony/videos

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (09-28-2015), Quest (08-25-2015)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    There is a local youtuber's channel that I love to watch. Her channel is called MichiganSnowPony and she's really into homesteading on a small scale. She's even raises rabbits for meat and has done the hives too, here's her link:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Michigansnowpony/videos
    Awesome..brings back memories..My favorite uncle DJ raised quail. I would go spend a week with him in the summer and watch..too young to really get much out of it. He was the uncle with 2 wives ...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (09-28-2015)

He was the uncle with 2 wives ...
    That might be worthy of its own thread...'do you have strange relatives'.

Was he a Mormon?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (09-28-2015)