Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A great book for one dollar and a few cents

As a preface to the section containing sermons about the Holy Spirit, there is a fascinating story from her early beginnings, in fact from the early beginnings of the Pentecostal revival as such. This happened in 1908, 2 years after the Azusa Street revival began. She was a newlywed Pentecostal missionary heading for China, she was only 18 years old and had been saved and Spirit baptized for less than a year. I'll type the story from my Kindle :

While in London, England, waiting for the boat in which to embark for China, I was asked by a certain preacher one day if I could not speak to his congregation that night. Inquiring of the Lord, I felt it was His will, and told the man that I would go. That evening a beautiful limousine, with liveried attendants, called for me, and I entered with weak and self-conscious steps, crying: "Oh, Lord, do help me do Thy will tonight." On the way I gazed upon the beautiful streets and buildings, till at last the car stopped in front of an imposing and spacious edifice.
    As we went up the steps and into the side door of this immense building, I remember taking a hurried glance at its size and vaguely wondering whether some small room therein was used for a mission. Great was my surprise therefore, when being led through the door and on to the platform, I found that this whole building was packed with people, and I was to speak to them at once. My attendant whispered into my ear that we were late, and then I heard the voice of the man on the platform saying: "Now our sister will speak to us and bring the message."
    Before I realized it, I was standing, dazed and confused before the largest audience I had ever spoken to. The gallery, the balcony, the pit and the rostrum were all filled, and to add to my confusion, just then the footlights flashed into brilliancy all around me, and there I stood, a slip of a girl, with my Bible in my trembling hands. I had prepared no sermon, trusting God to speak through me at the moment. But not a thought came to me. Lifting my heart to God in silent prayer, I said:
    "O God, if you ever helped me in my life, help me now!"
    Just then something happened - The power of God went surging through my body, waves of glory and praise swept through my soul, until I forgot the throng of eager faces that had, a moment before, seemed to swim before me, forgot the footlights, and the learned men with their long-tail coats, forgot that I was only a child of eighteen, and that many there with their grey hair knew more in a moment than I in the natural course would know in a lifetime, and "I was in the Spirit"
    All this takes a long time to write, but it happened in a moment, for those who put their trust in God shall never be put to shame. My mouth opened, the Lord took control of my tongue, my lips and vocal organs, and began to speak through me, not in tongues, but in English. The Spirit spoke in prophecy, and as He spoke, I did not know what the next word was to be, certainly the water did flow, not from my head but from the innermost depths of my being, without my having aught to do with it.
    As I spoke thus for one hour and a quarter, there did not seem to be a stir in all that vast audience...

This account tells me a lot about how seriously people took the Pentecostal message as it was spread across the world. And God worked along with that urgency.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

curly sue (11-07-2016), GodismyJudge (10-16-2016), Jonathan david (12-30-2016), Lista (10-23-2016), Quest (11-06-2016)

From the short but sweet sermon "Receive ye the Holy Ghost" :

"The first work of the Spirit is begun in our lives while we are yet sinners, for no man can come unto the Father except the Spirit draw him. The Holy Spirit is with the sinner, therefore, to convict or convince him of sin, to show him his helpless and lost condition without Jesus, and when he is willing to repent, he leads that penitent one to the feet of Jesus, the sinner's best friend."

Melanchton (free will Lutheranism)
    Arminius
    Wesley
    Holiness movement
    Pentecostal movement

There is a natural progression. To some degree from theory to hands-on reality, experience wise.

Here's an iconic picture of her, probably from the Angelus Temple some time during the 1920s. The portrait style is older than the time period suggests.

I've gotten to the last part of the book containing prophecies and messages in tongues with interpretation given by McPherson. You should read some of them, they are quite beautiful. They were spoken in English but given there and then by the Holy Spirit, then written down word for word by people present in the services.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    I've gotten to the last part of the book containing prophecies and messages in tongues with interpretation given by McPherson. You should read some of them, they are quite beautiful...
    Can you find and share a couple of them here?

Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    Can you find and share a couple of them here?
    Just download the book and start at the beginning of the chapter. Each one is less than a page long.

So, .... what do you believe about Sister Amie in regard to her big disappearance, ... was she really kidnapped or did she run off with someone??? Does the book deal with any of that event?

Sister was certainly a very intriguing personality.

One of my favorite pioneers in the Pentecostal movement was Mother Etter (Maria Woodworth-Etter), and I read of how Sister had some contact with her in her formative years of ministry.

The book was written 7 years before that happened.

According to the wikipedia page the woman spotted with the man in question during that time frame wasn't McPherson but was proven to be his mistress. Her version of her disappearance was never disproven. At worst we don't really know what happened.

She met briefly with Etter during World War 1, before she went to Los Angeles. The book doesn't say much about that. The wife of John G. Lake was baptized in the Spirit in one of her revival meetings during the same time period. Must have been his second wife since Jennie died in South Africa earlier.

You can read about it yourself by doing a word search in the book for Woodworth-Etter and Lake's.

I've just begun reading a biography written by Etter in 1916. She seems to be a forerunner of the Pentecostal movement. The only thing she didn't experience already during the late 1800s seems to be speaking in tongues. I don't think I'll start another thread on that book since it's a bit more difficult to relate to, but I might post some findings in this one.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

GodismyJudge (12-27-2016)

I'll quote the end of chapter 27 in Etter's biography :

"The Lord has performed the greatest miracle ever known; there is no case of healing in Bible record so wonderful as this boy.

The man born blind was considered a great wonder; then the man at the Beautiful Gate, who was healed of weak ankles, and who was born lame, was considered a great miracle; but this child was born blind, deaf, and dumb, and had no mind; now he can hear and see perfectly. God has given him a bright, intelligent mind; he laughs and plays, and walks around in front of the pulpit every day in view of the congregation; before he was healed he had spasms, as many as twenty a day, but now he is well and happy. In healing this child God has put his seal on this work, and proven to the world that I am called and sent of God, that the Lord is using me in a wonderful way to do his will in these last days.

The power of Elijah is working among the people with mighty miracles, signs, and wonders, showing that the coming of the Lord is near at hand, even at the door. 1 Thes 4:16. He is preparing the Bride, mounting her on the White Horse of Power, ready to meet the Bridegroom."

I've seen a few creative miracles happen myself and other wonders that could be considered more powerful than the healing of a body. Here Maria Woodworth-Etter makes the mistake of directing her focus at herself, the mistake I warned about in the other thread on Pentecostal pioneers found here :

http://livingfaithforum.com/forum/sh...ostal-pioneers

She also talks about the power of Elijah. At about the same time another forerunner of the Pentecostal movement, John Alexander Dowie, was letting people talk him into believing that he was Elijah returned so there must have been a lot of talk about Elijah, Elijah returning and the spirit and power of Elijah returning in those circles, just as there is in some circles today where people even believe that they have met with Elijah returned in the flesh. John the baptist was the Elijah to come as Jesus said and he also said that the least in the kingdom of God is greater than John the baptist whom he called the greatest among those born of women (Mat 11:11). Elijah was an Old Covenant prophet, we belong to a different covenant.

I feel that Etter was a bit alone at that time. She commissioned hundreds of missionaries and evangelists but the sense of community that came with the Pentecostal movement was perhaps lacking. Others have felt a sense of loneliness later. Kathryn Kuhlman expressed that sentiment in one of her television programs in the seventies and tried to transfer that emotion to McPherson whom she had only met briefly.

There is a strong current today for growing out of that to where the Church functions more fully as a body and where similar miracles are performed by thousands or even millions of servants rather than by a handful. The Pentecostal movement produced that to some degree, which can be sensed from McPherson's book discussed in this thread.
    Things are developing further in that direction as we speak. There will be leading figures just like there was in the early Church but there will also be multitudes of servants who like Stephen in the book of Acts do not have a prominent position but are still used mightily by God, like Etter was.