Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans' Shocking Ignorance About Theology

Americans' Shocking Ignorance About Theology

Surprise Surprise! Not.

From study-shows-americans-shocking-ignorance-about-theology (28Sep16 12:30pm)

o- "For example, he says, about two-thirds of Americans believe Jesus is God while half say Jesus is a being created by God. Those two beliefs don’t seem to match, he says."

Contradictory and incompatible beliefs are OK for most people,” McConnell says." (That should worry you FFO)

o- "Forty-four percent say sex outside marriage is not a sin"

o- "Three-quarters of Americans (77 percent) say people must contribute their own effort for personal salvation."

This one is backed up from www.christianitytoday.com evangelicals-favorite-heresies-state-of-theology (also dated Sep16) and probably best illustrated by this image

Americans’ Shocking Ignorance About Theology-capture-jpg

Yep, 75-80% of "Evangelical Christians" still accept the semi-pelagianism heresy 1500 years after it was identified as such by the Council of Orange in AD529.

But then as Solomon said "That which has been is that which will be, and that which has been done is that which will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun." (Eccl 1:9)

* Toxic Troll - Negative Nancy Farm Truck's Avatar
    There's a lot of ignorance going around causing many to believe OSAS theology which is where false grace teaching comes from.

God's Word tells us that in the end times there will be many coming in His Name preaching false doctrine and would deceive many... boy, God's Word was certainly right!

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Truck View Post
    There's a lot of ignorance going around causing many to believe OSAS theology which is where false grace teaching comes from.
    You might be right (as long as you're not talking about the perpertutity of the saints) but neither OSAS nor false grace were mentioned above so why bring them up?

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Truck View Post
    God's Word tells us that in the end times there will be many coming in His Name preaching false doctrine and would deceive many... boy, God's Word was certainly right!
    Yep the church is full of the semi-pelagianism heresy and you don't have to look hard to see bits of pelagianism.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FunFromOz View Post
    You might be right (as long as you're not talking about the perpertutity of the saints) but neither OSAS nor false grace were mentioned above so why bring them up?

Yep the church is full of the semi-pelagianism heresy and you don't have to look hard to see bits of pelagianism.
    Maybe not, but frankly I have not known anyone who was born again that believed God did not first draw them...be they of Calvin persuasion or not...

To some Calvinists, all non-Calvinists qualify as semi-Pelagians. To them, all it takes to qualify is that man responds favorably without being forced to do so and then it is salvation by works or merit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Quest (09-30-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    To some Calvinists, all non-Calvinists qualify as semi-Pelagians. To them, all it takes to qualify is that man responds favorably without being forced to do so and then it is salvation by works or merit.
    So if salvation isn't "by works or merit" what is it by?

Biblical works are works according to the law. Merit implies that God has to declare one worthy of salvation in the legal sense. Responding to God's call by taking up the faith doesn't qualify as either. Since that act is based on the empowering of the Spirit it does not even qualify as own effort.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

Quest (09-30-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Biblical works are works according to the law. Merit implies that God has to declare one worthy of salvation in the legal sense. Responding to God's call by taking up the faith doesn't qualify as either. Since that act is based on the empowering of the Spirit it does not even qualify as own effort.
    Actually I was looking for a scripture as the answer: hint Ephesians 2

* Toxic Troll - Negative Nancy Farm Truck's Avatar
    neither OSAS nor false grace were mentioned above so why bring them up?
    Because it's what is deceiving believers the world over right now... and it has opened up many to the coming one world religion thru catholicism

Maybe not, but frankly I have not known anyone who was born again that believed God did not first draw them...be they of Calvin persuasion or not...
    Surely Jesus didn't have it wrong when He said...

John 12:32
    And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

What about this one?

Titus 2:11
    For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

I was not trying to rain on the "God isn't doing His part" parade... OK, maybe a little

Farm Truck, have you ever heard of context, not only in Scripture but in posts?

Consider the difference between
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    and
    See above you quote both Quest and I, out of order, with no reference to who said what, and Quest's post is on a previous page.

It's not hard to make life easier for others.