Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulsa Police Kill Unarmed Black Man-Video

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Woman View Post
    So what he was a big fellow? What has that got to do with anything?
    Police are not only trained to use their weapon effectively, they are also trained in defensive physical tactics. The question isn't why the victim didn't cooperate, the question is why didn't the police restrain him before he reached his vehicle while his hands were up? I sum it, as I did before, 1. They were AFRAID, in which case they have no business being on the force. Or 2. They wanted a reason to shoot him, so they allowed him to get to his car so they could justify it.
    The lady cop continued to keep him covered, which is correct procedure, while the other cop literally had to run to even get near the man by the time he reached the vehicle.

Again, I am not justifying the shooting but there is no reason to to not follow instructions.

If he would have complied this never would have happened.

The onus was on him.

Now as to the ultimate outcome of the situation afterward, that indeed is up for debate.

As for hypothesis #2, I seriously doubt they were out looking for a reason to shoot him.

I don't think you actually believe that.
    This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity (futility) of their mind, having the understanding darkened...
    (Ephesians 4:17-18)

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly...
    (Psalm 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal TT View Post
    Plenty of cops have been in that situation and haven't killed the person
    I guess what frustrates me about these situations TT is two things:

1) People automatically blame the police; and
    2) Armchair critics who know or see via released video a wee bit of what happened spend hours and days and weeks analyzising what happened and then after six months come to the conclusion that the policeman's split second decision was wrong.

Here's one from your area:
    http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/tw...18-grismf.html

Husband and wife dead after aborted police chase in northern suburbs of Perth

A 16 year old driving a car illegally runs into another car and kills two people but the article immediately points to the fact that the police were previously chasing him and then into the "officers in that vehicle (being) appropriately trained and the class of vehicle they were travelling in was right within our policy settings (for chasing people)".

How about asking:
    1) What's a 16 year old doing driving a car?
    2) Where did he get it?
    3) What's he doing speeding?
    4) Why didn't he obey the police request to stop?
    5) Why did he continue speeding after the police stopped chasing him?
    6) Where are his parents?

Not "was the car the police were in an appropriate car for chasing criminals in?"

Sheeth!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FunFromOz For This Useful Post:

Quest (09-21-2016)

Blog Entries
    FunOz

You are assuming that all cops are never wrong and all baddies did something so they deserved to get shot and die
    A cop is supposed to assess the situation and judge accurately....unfortunately some cops cannot do this and innocent lives have been taken by trigger happy cops

I fully support the police but I am not naive...some people should never be cops and are a danger to the public

Most cops are decent and want to do the right thing - but some are trigger happy, some are power hungry, some are egotistical, some are racist, some are hypocrites, some are drug taking and dealing, some are thieves and some criminals

There were 3 male cops surrounding that black man who could have taken him but the female cop shot him - thats crazy

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cardinal TT For This Useful Post:

BAP (09-21-2016), FaithfulOne (09-21-2016), Romans828 (09-21-2016), Valiant Woman (09-20-2016)

FunOz

You are assuming that all cops are never wrong and all baddies did something so they deserved to get shot and die
    Not quite.

I know that being human the police sometimes get it wrong, sometimes intentionally.

And all baddies did do something, but not necessarily should they be shot.

But I believe:
    We should not have our initial response always being "It's the policemen's fault"
    People should alway and immediately obey police instructions
    People not obeying police instructions escalate the situation and increase the possibility that things cound go wrong
    People who escalate the situation be appropriately held responsible for what then happens

I was unable to watch the video, but even if I had I don't know what happened before hand that led up to this incident.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FunFromOz For This Useful Post:

Quest (09-21-2016)

This seems to be the most informative report I've read so far...

Tells some more details about both sides...

Man ignored Tulsa officer's commands before shooting, attorney says
    Associated Press
    1:25 PM, Sep 20, 2016
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...-attorney-says

This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity (futility) of their mind, having the understanding darkened...
    (Ephesians 4:17-18)

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly...
    (Psalm 1)

FunOz
    A cop is supposed to assess the situation and judge accurately....unfortunately some cops cannot do this and innocent lives have been taken by trigger happy cops

I fully support the police but I am not naive...some people should never be cops and are a danger to the public

Most cops are decent and want to do the right thing - but some are trigger happy, some are power hungry, some are egotistical, some are racist, some are hypocrites, some are drug taking and dealing, some are thieves and some criminals

There were 3 male cops surrounding that black man who could have taken him but the female cop shot him - thats crazy.
    And I've worked with them all CTT. Most are honorable and decent. But there are the rotten apples and the incompetent ones, like the incompetent ones in the video.

You don't murder suspects because they ignore your commands unless they pose an immediate threat. They had time to subdue him, but they CHOSE not to. Now a man is dead, and his family devastated because of negligence and incompetence.
    When your praise match your prayers, the answer will come.
    https://www.facebook.com/Valiant-Wom...1103844642026/

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valiant Woman For This Useful Post:

BAP (09-21-2016), Cardinal TT (09-21-2016), FaithfulOne (09-21-2016), Romans828 (09-21-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by GodismyJudge View Post
    This seems to be the most informative report I've read so far...

Tells some more details about both sides...
    Shelby's attorney, Scott Wood, said Crutcher was not following the officers' commands and that Shelby was concerned because he kept reaching for his pocket as if he was carrying a weapon.

"He has his hands up and is facing the car and looks at Shelby, and his left hand goes through the car window, and that's when she fired her shot," Wood told the Tulsa World for a story published Tuesday.

Interesting, but will anyone care?

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Woman View Post
    You don't murder suspects because they ignore your commands unless they pose an immediate threat. ... Now a man is dead, and his family devastated because of negligence and incompetence.
    Would he be dead if he'd obeyed instructions?

Of course, the officers involved are innocent until proven guilty, but this looks bad.
    I can't see any reason to shoot a man who's standing peacefully next to his idling
    car, posing no threat to anyone.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to njtom For This Useful Post:

BAP (09-21-2016), Romans828 (09-21-2016), Valiant Woman (09-21-2016)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by njtom View Post
    Of course, the officers involved are innocent until proven guilty, but this looks bad.
    I can't see any reason to shoot a man who's standing peacefully next to his idling
    car, posing no threat to anyone.
    Shelby's attorney, Scott Wood, said Crutcher was not following the officers' commands and that Shelby was concerned because he kept reaching for his pocket as if he was carrying a weapon.

"He has his hands up and is facing the car and looks at Shelby, and his left hand goes through the car window, and that's when she fired her shot," Wood told the Tulsa World for a story published Tuesday.

Not quite "standing peacefully next to his idling car, posing no threat to anyone."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

FunFromOz (09-21-2016)