Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben-Hur (2016)

Cool Ben-Hur (2016)

Anyone seen it yet? I'm going to catch the matinee showing tomorrow. I'm a huge fan of the Charlton Heston/Stephen Boyd version. They'd better not mess it up.

When your praise match your prayers, the answer will come.
    https://www.facebook.com/Valiant-Wom...1103844642026/

Blog Entries
    I was just reading that it bombed at the box office. Of course that doesn't mean it's not an enjoyable movie.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (08-27-2016)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    I was just reading that it bombed at the box office. Of course that doesn't mean it's not an enjoyable movie.
    yeah i heard there were a lot of exploding chariots....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeze View Post
    yeah i heard there were a lot of exploding chariots....
    And chariot chase scenes?

*Anxiously awaiting Lady V's review*

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Romans828 For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (08-27-2016)

Thumbs up

Well saw the film yesterday. Didn't enjoy it as much as the 1959 version, but it was alright. I'd give it a 3.7 out of 5 stars. The reason for the higher score is because they gave the Jesus story more time and put a face to His character. They didn't do that in the earlier version. And they did it well. I was pleasantly surprised.

They completely missed it in the slave ship scenes. Very disappointing. If any of you saw the '59 version, you know that was a very important part if the storyline. They gave it, maybe 15 minutes. Not good at all.

The chariot race was great, but there were scenes where it looked like they used some animation. And I didn't appreciate them replacing the Arab characters of the earlier version with Africans. Morgan Freeman played the Sheik Llderim character who trains Judah Ben-Hur for the race. Totally out of his league on that score, totally.

I don't know guys...To me, the Heston/Boyd version was, how can I say it?, more "Roman-esque". Superior on just about every point. I didn't read the book, so maybe they chose to stay with that storyline, which spoils it for me because I've seen the earlier version about 15-20 times and it's all I know!

I loved the accents in the earlier version, this version left out so much, and if it weren't for the Christ factor, I wouldn't have enjoyed it much.

And of course, neither of the two main characters, Jack Huston who played the title character (grandson of the late, great film director John Huston, and great grandson of Walter Huston), or Toby Kebbell, who plays Masala, could hold a candle to Heston and Boyd in the acting department. I'd give them a C+ on that score.

Overall, I give it a B-, and I'm being generous. I won't be purchasing the DVD. :-(

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valiant Woman For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (09-01-2016), Romans828 (08-28-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    There were few scenes that I enjoyed Fuego. I was upset that they didn't include Juda Ben-Hur's mother and sister more prominently as in the earlier version.

Oh! I forgot to talk about the ending! Completely different than the '59 version! I won't give it away. I have mixed feelings about it, so I want to wait until some of you see it and tell me your thoughts on the ending they chose.

But maybe after my review you won't see it huh?

I hope some of you see it cause for me, an "original classic film buff", I'd like to hear other thoughts.

I know that I could count on Catchy on discussing this. Man, I miss her. She was one of the few here that enjoyed these classics as much as I do. RIParadise dear sister.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Valiant Woman For This Useful Post:

Romans828 (08-28-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Woman View Post
    ...I know that I could count on Catchy on discussing this. Man, I miss her. She was one of the few here that enjoyed these classics as much as I do. RIParadise dear sister.
    *SIGH*

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Romans828 For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (08-30-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant Woman View Post
    ...I know that I could count on Catchy on discussing this. Man, I miss her...
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    *SIGH*
    There was a different thread the other day where I thought the same thing.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

Romans828 (08-29-2016), Valiant Woman (08-30-2016)

Blog Entries
    The new season of '60 Days In' has started and it made me think about discussion it with there. Of course she couldn't care less. She sees how useless all our earthly entertainment is now. When we get to heaven I'm sure one of our thoughts won't be that we wished we had watched more movies and TV. :)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel 33 (09-01-2016), Valiant Woman (08-30-2016)