Thread: Salted with fire ?

Salted with fire ?

Mark 9:49 For everyone will be salted with fire.

I'm quoting the NASB here because the KJV translates salted as seasoned which is less clear because the Greek verb is derived directly from the noun for salt. The NASB and other translations omit the latter part found in the KJV "and every sacrifice will be seasoned with salt." and I won't concentrate on that part. Back to the NKJV for the next verse :

50 Salt is good, but if the salt loses its flavor, how will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace with one another.

How is it possible for salt to lose its saltiness ? It was possible at that time because the salt they extracted in large quantities was impure and during certain conditions it would lose the actual salt and only the impurity would be left.

Jesus is talking about living holy which includes having peace with one another and this required having salt in ourselves. Salt functioned as a preservative, it kept flesh from rotting. Where does this salt effect come from ? According to the previous verse, it came from being salted with fire. What kind of fire is that ? The fire of the Holy Spirit. Jesus said we would be baptized with the Holy Spirit and fire. It starts with being born again and receiving a new nature of course, which installs the Holy Spirit in our spirits to begin with. But living and moving in the fire of the Holy Spirit is integral to living holy.

Notice that verse 49 starts with the word 'for' which connects it to the previous verse(s). Here they are :

47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire—
    48 where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched

Here he describes the natural state of the sinner, of being flesh that is being corrupted by sin. The end of it is hell, where the corruption never ends and the fire is not quenched. This fire is external and doesn't function as salt, it doesn't stop the corruption of the flesh. What is the difference between this fire and the fire that salts in the next verse ? Mainly that it isn't internal. The new birth and the baptism in the Holy Spirit and fire makes God's fire integral and internal to the human being and it has a salting effect. To a sinner who is merely exposed to God's fire outside of the medium of grace, it has no such effect. The effect is that the sinner becomes the corruption that the fire has a salting effect on, since he basically isn't anything else than corrupted flesh.

A conclusion from this is that we are called to let God install his holy fire in us and integral to our spirit, before it is too late. We are not to quench the Holy Spirit and introduce strange fire instead, then the salt loses its saltiness and there is only flesh being corrupted.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

krystian (08-15-2016)

Blog Entries
    Some interesting scriptures there.

The fire in your avatar is integral and internal to you rather than merely external. Makes a huge difference to the effect it has on you, huh ?

Why isn't the presence of the Holy Spirit and fire currently a terror to the sinner like it will be in afterlife and like it was to some degree during the old testament ? It's because the Holy Spirit approaches the sinner through the medium of grace. Jesus payed the price for that medium to be there. In a sense, he faced the terror that would have been there so that the sinner would not. Everything about the gospel, including the conviction and drawing of the Holy Spirit, is nothing but grace.

Old Testament :

Heb 12:18 For you have not come to the mountain that may be touched and that burned with fire, and to blackness and darkness and tempest,
    19 and the sound of a trumpet and the voice of words, so that those who heard it begged that the word should not be spoken to them anymore.
    20 (For they could not endure what was commanded: “And if so much as a beast touches the mountain, it shall be stoned or shot with an arrow.”
    21 And so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, “I am exceedingly afraid and trembling.”)

New Testament :

22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels,
    23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect,
    24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.

It's the same fire :

29 For our God is a consuming fire.

Banned
    Blog Entries

-
    Webster's defines "salt" as a natural white substance that is used especially to flavor and/or to preserve food

It seems to me from the language and grammar of Matt 5:13, Mark 9:50, Luke 14:34, and Col 4:6, that the purpose of salt in those passages is to enhance flavor and make otherwise naturally insipid and/or bad-tasting things palatable.

For example; speech seasoned with salt as per Col 4:6 would infer a tongue that's easy on people's nerves; in other words: conversation that lacks irritation; viz: sarcasm, undue criticism, rejoinders, smart aleck retorts, profanity, recriminations, crude suggestions, thoughtless remarks, ridicule, demeaning comments, sneering, scorn, rejoinders, half truths, mockery, fault finding, dishonesty, deception, semantic double-speak, clever sophistry, interruptions, yelling, quarreling, and name calling; etc.

Salt in one's speech then, would include things like honesty, forthrightness, praise, courtesy, friendliness, gratitude, leniency, patience, tolerance, kindness, and gentleness. In other words: conversation that makes an effort to maintain peace rather than provoke conflict.

Jesus said that everyone would be salted with fire. I take it that when he says ”everyone", he permits no exceptions. Exactly how fire suffices for a flavor enhancer I don't really know for sure except that I much prefer my meats cooked than raw because beef, fish, and fowl are tastier when prepared like that. Even vegetables like beans, potatoes, and corn on the cob are tastier when they're cooked instead of eaten raw.

/

* Toxic Troll - Negative Nancy Farm Truck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WebersHome View Post
    In other words: conversation that makes an effort to maintain peace rather than provoke conflict
    Too bad Jesus didn't know this when He was running the money changes out of the temple... and Paul and other apostles have some very rude things to say to those that believe wrongly.

Hard to say Jesus was attempting to maintain peace when He was flipping their tables over, which was very, very rude and was even violent! Anyone doing such today would be considered to be not walking in love... wonder what they thought about Jesus' love walk

Many times truth comes forth as being rude to those that don't want to hear truth in favor of staying where they are at on a particular topic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Farm Truck View Post
    Too bad Jesus didn't know this when He was running the money changes out of the temple... and Paul and other apostles have some very rude things to say to those that believe wrongly.

Hard to say Jesus was attempting to maintain peace when He was flipping their tables over, which was very, very rude and was even violent! Anyone doing such today would be considered to be not walking in love... wonder what they thought about Jesus' love walk

Many times truth comes forth as being rude to those that don't want to hear truth in favor of staying where they are at on a particular topic.
    Good point to consider...Jesus called the Pharisees white washed pillars filled with dead men's bones...and some other choice descriptions...but he was using analogies that described their true condition...not hurling daggers..

Scripture tells us to maintain peace a far as it is possible...it is actually possible He was not acting on human emotion especially since He was always Spirit led...

Sometimes it comes forth as sounding rude..sometimes it is presented rudely...which is why we re to speak the truth in love..In love means our goal is to speak the truth in love...I can say, 'Scripture seems to say something different' or I can say 'here is the truth but you don't want the truth'..the latter being a judgment rather than spoken in love. Love speaks expecting the Holy Spirit to bring the revelation...judgement speaks expecting the hearer to reject the truth...

When truth is spoken in a judgmental tone and the judgment attitude irritates the hearer the speaker can assume and accuse they didn't want the truth...when the fact is it was the judgmental tone that was rejected, not the truth presented. I can say, 'the truth is this confirmed by this scripture'...or I can say 'this is the truth but you don't want the truth'....I have just presented the truth and slapped the hearer ...when they react to the slap I can assume it was the truth I spoke they are reacting to...and it was not...

...words can heal or they can be used as daggers and scriptural truth can be hurled as a dagger...or administered as a balm...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

curly sue (09-20-2016)

Yes, and Jesus also told them they were of their father the devil...

Apparently, Jesus was not interested in trying to make peace with them at the expense of speaking truth.

Sadly, in the end the Lord is going to send some that confess to be Christians away from Him because they refused to allow Him to have habitation in their lives which the Lord said was His will in 2 Corinthians 6:16... which of course if the primary purpose for our existence.

It is the reason we were created by the Lord.... so He could share Himself with us, but we must be in agreement with Him for that to happen (walk in the Spirit) and not be in opposition to Him (walk in the flesh).

God loves everyone, but He cannot accept everyone.

Banned
    Blog Entries

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Farm Truck View Post
    Too bad Jesus didn't know this when He was running the money changes out of the temple... Hard to say Jesus was attempting to maintain peace when He was flipping their tables over, which was very, very rude and was even violent! Anyone doing such today would be considered to be not walking in love... wonder what they thought about Jesus' love walk.
    You're criticizing the wrong person. Christ was micro-managed. He was only doing as he was told.

John 6:38 . . I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of Him who sent me.

John 8:28 . . I do nothing on my own initiative

John 8:29 . . He that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please Him.

John 10:30 . . I and my Father are unified.

/

Quote Originally Posted by WebersHome View Post
    He was only doing as he was told.
    Exactly... Jesus is the Word of God come in the flesh and He does what He sees and hears the Father do... so He was in the right to kick out the money changers.

Point is, in these feminized, hyper-grace days... if someone did this they would be attacked as being hateful and not walking in Love, nor being led by the Holy Ghost

It's funny that you think I was criticizing Jesus
    I was being facetious