Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wildlife in your yard

Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    skunks are of the devil.

I do not actively encourage wildlife in my yard, but my little garden seems to attract squirrels, rabbits, and birds. I haven't gotten to eat (from my garden) a single blackberry or strawberry this year.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lista For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-23-2015), Quest (08-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Lista View Post
    skunks are of the devil.

I do not actively encourage wildlife in my yard, but my little garden seems to attract squirrels, rabbits, and birds. I haven't gotten to eat (from my garden) a single blackberry or strawberry this year.
    Having a garden actively encourages wildlife.

I've thought about a vegetable garden but it would be a fight between me and the animals. It's already a fight between me and the deer for my apples. They have gotten the low hanging apples and are now standing on their hind legs to get more. Last night there was a six point buck looking for apples. The light was really bad or I would have gotten a picture.

I know that if I have a vegetable garden, there will have to be some heavy duty fencing. In the neighborhood someone has a garden with wire fencing AND a electric fence with two strands, one for deer and the other for rabbits, possums and coons.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Highly Favoured For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-23-2015)

Blog Entries
    skunks are of the devil.

I bought a garden net to cover my blackberries and it was great..only cost about $3.00 at Walmart and well worth it..

It was funny, one morning I walked on the deck and a rabbit was sitting right next to my bush just staring at it...I thought to myself, He's trying to figure a way in...after a minute or so he gave up and hopped on off...since we are ina bird sanctuary next year when I put in my garden I am going to utilize an idea I saw on Pinterest where someone had taken pvc pipe and formed a canopy over their garden so that when the time came they could just drape over the mesh...I don't mind SHARING but those little rascals are GREEDY..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-23-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    I've got an English walnut tree and the squirrels go crazy over it. Ive had pretty much every color of squirrel in that tree, sometimes at the same time and when they're peeling away it sounds like its raining.

What are going to do with the wood from your black walnut tree? It can be valuable, are you going to sell it or since you're an artist create some masterpieces?
    We had some squirrels with pure white tails a few years ago. They pop up time to time in different areas. It was cool to have them in our neighborhood.

No mill will buy wood from a yard. Afraid of nails in it that can ruin a saw blade. We had hoped to have a wood burning stove in by now, but haven't been able to afford it yet. Likely it will just be hauled away.
    See avatar for signature

8. The Following User Says Thank You to papabrett For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-23-2015)

skunks are of the devil.

Our blackberries finally really started to produce this year, after planting them a couple years ago. mmmmmmmmm
    See avatar for signature

10. The Following User Says Thank You to papabrett For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-23-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by papabrett View Post
    ...No mill will buy wood from a yard. Afraid of nails in it that can ruin a saw blade. We had hoped to have a wood burning stove in by now, but haven't been able to afford it yet. Likely it will just be hauled away.
    Well don't give up yet. I always heard that the wood was valuable but never checked it out, look what I found, he agrees with you to a point, but...

"...HOWEVER, there are always exceptions to the rule! So, what sort of defects renders a yard tree undesirable to a prospective buyer? Examples of internal and external tree defects include bird peck from yellow-bellied sapsucker (woodpecker); metal from nails, screws, staples, fence, insulator pins, etc; old limb scars; old pruning wounds; multiple lower limbs due to lack of pruning; crooked form; mower damage; internal rot and decay; holes, seams, scars, and cracks; etc. Many potential timber buyers will offer minimal value (if any value at all) for yard trees simply because most yard trees are “high risk” to internal defects that cannot be seen until the tree is cut down. Consequently, the “value” of your yard tree(s) is a function of tree species (e.g., black walnut, black cherry, white oak, red oak, sugar maple, etc.); tree diameter measured at 4.5 feet above ground line; log length and log diameter (i.e., volume of wood); log defect and risk of defect; how difficult the tree is to remove from your yard; demand; and your homework, marketing skills, and persistence.

Therefore, if you are interested in maximizing your return from selling your yard tree(s), this is what you should do: 1) Contact a portable/custom sawmill owner directly to determine if they are interested in your particular tree (you’ll need to send them a lot of pictures and also provide them with diameter measurements): http://www.illinoisurbanwood.org/documents/ILCustomSawmillsDirectory2011.pdf

(2) Contact a local woodworking shop or woodworkers club through the Internet or phone directory and ask them if they can put you in touch with someone within their network who may be interested in your walnut tree:

(3) Place an advertisement in your local newspaper, Craigslist, etc., to see if you can solicit local interest in your walnut yard tree..."

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/as...7&AskSiteID=87

12. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-23-2015)

Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by papabrett View Post
    Our blackberries finally really started to produce this year, after planting them a couple years ago. mmmmmmmmm
    Gloating isn't nice.....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lista For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-23-2015)

Finally I saw a hummingbird at my hummingbird feeder! I've had it up for about a month now and maybe its been used a little here and there but it was the first time that I actually saw one feeding from it and it was awesome! :)

Every year I grow the small bushy type sunflowers that the finches just love and now they're starting to come and feed on the flowers that have gone to seed also.

We have squirrels, possums, and cats on a regular basis. We have a surplus of house cats running loose! This summer we saw more bunnies than we have seen for a while. Now and then we see a raccoon or a skunk. The possums and coons are bad about getting in the trash, although it's not so common now that we have the big cans on wheels that have lids.

We have blue jays, robins, sparrows, grackles, doves and an occasional crow. We never feed the birds, as they produce weeds.

Birds produce weeds?