Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Was it Wrong to Drop the Atom Bomb on Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by CatchyUsername View Post
    You progressives can continue to wring your hands over this stuff if you want, as for me, I'll move on with life and I refuse to make the US the most evil empire that ever existed on the planet. We can thank your ilk for that sort of thinking.
    Most evil empire on the planet? Never heard anyone say that. Historically, we have made some huge mistakes however.

To let a million people die of starvation instead of actively killing one hundref thousand with atomic bombs would be more pacifistic but carry ten times the responsibility. Pacifism is nothing more than a sin by omission.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

CatchyUsername (06-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by njtom View Post
    Most evil empire on the planet? Never heard anyone say that. Historically, we have made some huge mistakes however.
    Yes, tom, I'm aware of the "mistakes" and downright evil we have committed. But again, I lay squarely at your ilk's feet, the evilification of the US.....we can thank Howard Zinn, Noam Chomskey, and all of the academics at the college level for filling an entire generation's head with a SKEWED MAGNIFICATION of the mistakes and evils that were done by the US, as if no other nation on planet earth has ever done evil. You may not say that, "Hey, Germany was pursuing the atomic bomb, it's just that the US beat them to the punch", or whatever, but by default, your ilk makes the US out to be the bad guy.

The resulting fruit of your labors are the roaming mobs that violently attack Trump supporters because (those in the mob) have been taught by their college professors that the US stole land from Mexico, therefore, Mexicans have a "right" to the land. The type of Howard Zinn worldview that has made whites evil, and made poor wittle victims of the brown skinned peoples of the world. The type of victimology your ilk has produced (even if much of what has been said has been true), is a fruit that does not bring about healing, restoration, or wisdom. What Howard Zinn et al has produced is violent, raging, mobs....a deep hatred for the US and white people, and an inability of deal with past injustices in a constructive manner.

See tom, I hear what progressives say about the roaming, violent, mobs that attack Trump supporters, and they completely justify the violent attacks. I could put up quotes from posters on other boards that literally justify the attacks simply because Trump wants to secure the border. Again, as the bible says, "wisdom is justified by her children". The "wisdom" of the left is a vilification of this nation, as you have done in many posts, and the fruit of it is now coming full circle. Anyone who knows me knows that I admit to our historical evils, injustices, and "mistakes". But I am tired of progressives making the US out to be a much worse evil (by not even mentioning the evils done by other nations).

Again, you may want to turn a blind eye to what your progressive ilk produces, but I see it every day, and I hear it every time you speak. It's always about the US and it's evils, with nary a mention of any evil any brown skinned person commits. Why? Because brown skinned people are only reacting to what white America has done to them. They are never responsible for anything, especially not their own lives.

That's on your ilk tom. I want no part of it.

Sometimes an ability to act and therefore necessarily get ones hands dirty is seen as an expression of authority. Rebellion against legitimate authority wielding power in order to promote ultimate good is what the spirit of this world rebels against the most. It would rather have no power being exercised, de facto anarchy and "come what may". As long as God isnt ruling including through people who exercise power in a wisdom that can be called godly.

For instance dealing proactively with the terrorism threat is seen as what I described and people are more likely to want no drastic measures to be taken and to let "come what may" be their de facto reality. This is deeply embedded in the sinful nature and especially when peoples immediate needs seem to be taken care of for the time being, to lean back into "come what may", including in relation to final judgment and hell.

Again, you may want to turn a blind eye to what your progressive ilk produces, but I see it every day, and I hear it every time you speak. It's always about the US and it's evils, with nary a mention of any evil any brown skinned person commits. Why? Because brown skinned people are only reacting to what white America has done to them. They are never responsible for anything, especially not their own lives.

That's on your ilk tom. I want no part of it.
    And again, this thread was initiated to discuss the merits and demerits of a specific action: the atomic bombing of two cities in Japan. The opening post was created, I and others responded; that's it! No need to draw broad generalizations about other topics.

If you weren't saying the US was "morally wrong" for dropping the bomb, I would never have gone off on the tangent I have gone off on. Your stance is precisely the type of, "the US is evil" type of rhetoric I'm specifically referring to.

When all an individual ever hears is how evil their own durn country is, how ON EARTH can you expect an unredeemed, unChristian, godless person to react to that, tom? Huh?

Every progressive I have ever dealt with online refers to us dropping the a-bomb on Japan as proof of how truly evil the US is. It's part of a much larger narrative, therefore, I am responding to that mindset, a mindset you clearly have.

Quote Originally Posted by njtom View Post
    And again, this thread was initiated to discuss the merits and demerits of a specific action: the atomic bombing of two cities in Japan. The opening post was created, I and others responded; that's it! No need to draw broad generalizations about other topics.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CatchyUsername For This Useful Post:

Valiant Woman (06-06-2016)

Every progressive I have ever dealt with online refers to us dropping the a-bomb on Japan as proof of how truly evil the US is. It's part of a much larger narrative, therefore, I am responding to that mindset, a mindset you clearly have.
    Again, a completely unwarranted (and untrue) inference!!

Youre tough, njtom. Maybe a bit too tough for your own good.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    To let a million people die of starvation instead of actively killing one hundref thousand with atomic bombs would be more pacifistic but carry ten times the responsibility. Pacifism is nothing more than a sin by omission.
    Again, to clarify: The pacifist would argue that any killing (even of a Japanese soldier) is wrong; I'm not arguing that, I'm saying that the intentional killing of civilians is wrong.

Now, as to the position that killing 100K civilians is preferable to allowing 1000K to die of starvation; I would question the "either or" aspect and suggest that neither course of action is right.

If we stand idly by while watching one million people die of starvation, then what kind of witness are we ?????

The alternative to blockading a million people to death could have been a prolonged war and 2 million people killed (the number is made up but you get the point). These things are difficult and there is a tendency to blame people for simply making decisions and exercising power. In hindsight there will always be something to criticize and it will be easier to determine with a better probability what would have been a better course of action. Something to learn for the future ? That is more likely than being able to condemn past actions. Some times only being in the midst of it would enable anyone to tell if the action made sense or not.