Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart Working Conditions

Question Wal-Mart Working Conditions

I've seen posts that mention "The way Wal-Mart treat their employees"

Would someone please enlighten me as to what it is that is considered unfair practices?

I'm asking because I shop there frequently - Love their low prices!

Yes, some of the employees seem to have a chip on their shoulders, and it takes forever to get through the checkout line because the cashiers seem to be moving in slow motion, but the bargains are worth it to me - Plus, now that I'm retired, I'm not in a hurry - I've got all the time in the world (LOL)

A former member of our Church was employed at Wal-Mart, and she constantly complained about her job, and I was soooo tempted to say, "You knew how much they paid and whether they offered benefits, etc. before you agreed to take the position - If you hate it so much, why don't you try to find work somewhere else?"

I've seen the same people at the store I frequent for YEARS, so I assume they must not be disgruntled - We smile and speak every time I see them.

Anyway, just wondered why people dog Wal-Mart so much?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Romans828 For This Useful Post:

curly sue (05-05-2016)

Walmart is the boogeyman of the left, basically. The left doesn't see the world in terms of good vs evil. They see the world in terms of the powerful versus the weak. Therefore, because Walmart is so big, and because they have a very large workforce mostly consisting of people who may be less affluent or lack advanced education or whatever, they don't like the fact that they are not unionized, and apt to be "taken advantage of"....they are basically workerbees making the Walton family rich. Mind you that's their view. I'm just explaining it.

Also, because Walmart undercuts smaller businesses in terms of pricing, many people are hostile to them as they see them as putting local businesses OUT of business.

Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    I've seen posts that mention "The way Wal-Mart treat their employees"

Would someone please enlighten me as to what it is that is considered unfair practices?

I'm asking because I shop there frequently - Love their low prices!

Yes, some of the employees seem to have a chip on their shoulders, and it takes forever to get through the checkout line because the cashiers seem to be moving in slow motion, but the bargains are worth it to me - Plus, now that I'm retired, I'm not in a hurry - I've got all the time in the world (LOL)

A former member of our Church was employed at Wal-Mart, and she constantly complained about her job, and I was soooo tempted to say, "You knew how much they paid and whether they offered benefits, etc. before you agreed to take the position - If you hate it so much, why don't you try to find work somewhere else?"

I've seen the same people at the store I frequent for YEARS, so I assume they must not be disgruntled - We smile and speak every time I see them.

Anyway, just wondered why people dog Wal-Mart so much?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CatchyUsername For This Useful Post:

curly sue (05-05-2016), Romans828 (05-05-2016), Valiant Woman (05-11-2016)

I really can't stand Walmart; if I want to buy cheap chinese plastic crap I can pay less money for it, have it delivered for free, and avoid the attitude by shopping on Amazon. We might go to WM once or twice a year.

I buy a few (low-priced) grocery items, and things like underwear (for Hubby), hosiery, tights, hair color, small appliances, towels, shower curtain liners, air filters, etc.

"Cheap, plastic, Chinese crap" - Not so much.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Romans828 For This Useful Post:

CatchyUsername (05-05-2016), Valiant Woman (05-11-2016)

Hmmmmm....we get toilet paper, paper towels, undergarments, (I get my cotton t-shirts there), California olive oil, organic bread, etc....there.

No cheap plastic involved.

Quote Originally Posted by KaySharpe View Post
    I really can't stand Walmart; if I want to buy cheap chinese plastic crap I can pay less money for it, have it delivered for free, and avoid the attitude by shopping on Amazon. We might go to WM once or twice a year.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CatchyUsername For This Useful Post:

Romans828 (05-05-2016), Valiant Woman (05-11-2016)

Yup.....I've gotten many a towel and shower curtains/liners there as well. We also get herbs, succulants, etc....there.

I buy a few (low-priced) grocery items, and things like underwear (for Hubby), hosiery, tights, hair color, small appliances, towels, shower curtain liners, air filters, etc.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CatchyUsername For This Useful Post:

Romans828 (05-05-2016), Valiant Woman (05-11-2016)

How much of that is made in the US? Betting that 99% of it's made, with unknown toxicity levels (especially things like shower curtains), overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by KaySharpe View Post
    How much of that is made in the US? Betting that 99% of it's made, with unknown toxicity levels (especially things like shower curtains), overseas.
    I havn't purchased the cheap, plastic, liners in years. I buy the cloth ones that don't off-gas.

Also, there isn't MUCH made in the USA now. It's really unavoidable. Don't know what to tell you about that. I try to buy "made in the USA" as much as possible.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CatchyUsername For This Useful Post:

Romans828 (05-05-2016)

I shared my experience with WM over on the voting for Trump thread.

Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    Below is the perfect article to sum up Wal-mart's disregard for their employees

Costco vs. Wal-mart

Employees covered by company health insurance
    Costco - 82%
    Wal-Mart - 48%
    Insurance-enrollment waiting periods (for part-time workers)
    Costco - 6 months
    Wal-Mart - 2 years
    Portion of health-care premium paid by company
    Costco - 92%
    Wal-Mart - 66%
    Annual worker turnover rate
    Costco - 24%
    Wal-Mart - 50%
    Company Size
    Costco - fourth-largest U.S. retailer
    Wal-Mart - world's largest retailer
    Fulltime employee's average hourly wage
    Costco - $17
    Wal-Mart - s $9.68.
    CEO's total 2004 pay
    Costco - James Sinegal [Issaquah, Washington-based] $2.7 million
    Wal-Mart - H. Lee Scott [Bentonville, Arkansas] $17.9 million

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lista For This Useful Post:

njtom (05-06-2016), Valiant Woman (05-11-2016)