Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hillsong

Hillsong

I thought I saw a thread on Hillsong having a gay couple as leadership for their music.

It's going around FB..

Today I found this:

http://brianchouston.com/blog/2015/0...ve-gay-people/

which clears it up.

now, I know there are those who disagree with even letting them be part of the congregation.. (my jury's out on that) but, at least this clears up the leadership part.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Femme* For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

The pastor at Hillsong New York accepts homosexuality and there are many gays in that church. There are also many celebrities there including Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber and both of them are open about sleeping with basically whoever they wish, of the opposite sex. So the standards in terms of sexual behavior seem generally lacking in that church.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-09-2015), Quest (08-04-2015)

Blog Entries
    Come as you are is misunderstood..the truly repentant who become born again understand this.

Homosexuals who choose to reject the scriptures but keep coming to a church that stands by the scriptures are only doing so because they have an agenda..if they feel totally comfortable there, no conviction, something is wrong.

The gay movement understands something some church leaders don't...a little leaven leavens the whole lump..sooner or later they will turn from within because the congregation will acclimate..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

Not everyone who claims a gay identity is part of the gay agenda, some may go to a church and worship and simply be confused or in a process of figuring things out. Refusing more or less sinful Christians at the door isn't a particularly fruitful strategy, at least not for a very large church. Holding to a higher standard when choosing leaders is a Biblical principle mentioned in several of the epistles.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

I agree, Quest,

Homosexuals should not and will not feel totally comfortable at a Bible-teaching, Spirit-filled Church - They should eventually experience discomfort and conviction which should lead to repentance and salvation.

Yes, they would certainly be welcome at our Church too, but I betcha after a couple of sermons from our Pastor, they'll either leave in a NY minute, or fall on their faces and ask "Men and brethren, what must I do to be saved?"

(Unless, as you said, they have an agenda.)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Romans828 For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-09-2015), Lively Stone (08-07-2015), Quest (08-04-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    I agree, Quest,

Homosexuals should not and will not feel totally comfortable at a Bible-teaching, Spirit-filled Church - They should eventually experience discomfort and conviction which should lead to repentance and salvation.

Yes, they would certainly be welcome at our Church too, but I betcha after a couple of sermons from our Pastor, they'll either leave in a NY minute, or fall on their faces and ask "Men and brethren, what must I do to be saved?"

(Unless, as you said, they have an agenda.)
    There are many other sins and making too much fuss about that particular one may actually play into the gay agenda, as if Christianity is about being anti-gay rather than anti-sin in general. Westboro Baptist Church is their very best friend.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

I understand what you're saying, Colonel, but I thought we were addressing the issue of whether Homosexuals were welcome to attend and serve in leadership positions in Church.

For the record, we've had individuals (heterosexual couples) who were still fornicating/shacking up, etc. who admitted to us that they were convicted by the Word, and they either moved out or got married.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Romans828 For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-09-2015), Quest (08-04-2015)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Not everyone who claims a gay identity is part of the gay agenda, some may go to a church and worship and simply be confused or in a process of figuring things out. Refusing more or less sinful Christians at the door isn't a particularly fruitful strategy, at least not for a very large church. Holding to a higher standard when choosing leaders is a Biblical principle mentioned in several of the epistles.
    Which is why I made the distinction in my post, "Homosexuals who choose to reject the scriptures..."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Which is why I made the distinction in my post, "Homosexuals who choose to reject the scriptures..."
    There is false doctrine circulating that states that the Bible doesn't really oppose homosexuality so that may be a problem as well. It isn't necessarily less believable than some other crazy doctrines that Christians are taught and believe in. So there will be many kinds showing up to church.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    I understand what you're saying, Colonel, but I thought we were addressing the issue of whether Homosexuals were welcome to attend and serve in leadership positions in Church.

For the record, we've had individuals (heterosexual couples) who were still fornicating/shacking up, etc. who admitted to us that they were convicted by the Word, and they either moved out or got married.
    I discussed that above, the Biblical precedent for holding to higher standards than otherwise when choosing leaders. There is also the precedent for dealing severely with individuals who live in severe sin in general (1 Cor 5) but following that through 2 Cor, Paul's way of dealing with that seems to depend on it being a fairly small and very relational church. Not comparable to when people attend large services in a megachurch. People attending such services will at any rate listen to the teachings and may get convicted by the presence of the Holy Spirit as well. At least as long as the church in question doesn't teach acceptance of the sin, then the Spirit doesn't have anything to work with anymore.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-09-2015)