Thread: Man shoots down drone hovering over house

Man shoots down drone hovering over house

With the increasing use of drones, both by governments and private-sector actors, we're going to see more and more of these incidents. In this case, I have to agree with the reasoning of the shooter - a drone hovering over your property, taking pictures, is an act of trespassing. Not sure that shooting the drone was the right thing to do, as a stray bullet could injure an innocent bystander, but I can understand his motivation.

Merideth, 47, lives in Hillview, Kentucky. As WDRB-TV reports, a neighbor heard gunshots and called the police. Merideth allegedly told the police that a drone was hovering over his house, where his teen daughter (he has two) was sunbathing. So he pulled out his gun and gave it a merry death.

The drone's owner, police say, said he was flying it to take pictures of a neighboring house.

However, Merideth told WRDB: "Well, I came out and it was down by the neighbor's house, about 10 feet off the ground, looking under their canopy that they've got under their back yard. I went and got my shotgun and I said, 'I'm not going to do anything unless it's directly over my property.'"

And then it allegedly was.

Merideth explained: "I didn't shoot across the road, I didn't shoot across my neighbor's fences, I shot directly into the air."

He says that shortly after the shooting, he received a visit from four men who claimed to be responsible for the drone and explaining that it cost $1,800.

For his part, Merideth says he will sue the drone's owners. He told WRDB: "You know, when you're in your own property, within a six-foot privacy fence, you have the expectation of privacy. We don't know if he was looking at the girls. We don't know if he was looking for something to steal. To me, it was the same as trespassing."
    -- https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/man-sho...000032027.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to njtom For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

Those things a nuisance , I would prob do the same thing, who wants them any way, I sure dont
    "Greater is He that's in me then He that's in the world"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boops For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

Blog Entries
    They are often equipped with cameras...a funny part of the story was the guy who 'shot' one down with a water gun and then accidentally stomped it.....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)

Resident Chocolate Monster Lista's Avatar
    I remember a former poster posting one time about owning a drone, and flying it around. I will reiterate, that if a drone shows up on my property looking in MY windows it's going DOWN!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lista For This Useful Post:

FresnoJoe (08-01-2015)