Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 374

Thread: Church Revokes 92-Year-Old Woman's Membership for Not Tithing

  1. #211
    Senior Member Romans828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    7th Heaven
    Posts
    2,448
    Thanked: 2012

    Lightbulb

    Hubby served as Pastor of a small, rural church for several years...

    You know the kind where there's a Cemetery right behind the church building?

    Well, while we were there, it was brought to his attention - in a quarterly Church Meeting - that space was getting limited in the cemetery and "something had to be done about it" or they'd run out of room (especially due to Non-Members being buried there) ...

    ...And, God forbid, what would happen if one of the "Pillars of the Church" died and there was no place to bury him or her???

    After much discussion, it was agreed that a LETTER would be sent to ALL members - Active and Inactive informing them of the dilemma.

    The letter stated that "In order to be considered a MEMBER IN GOOD STANDING, which qualified one for a FREE plot in the Church's cemetery, you'd have to either:

    A. Be in attendance no fewer than two Sundays a month (which included bringing an Offering)- OR...

    B. Send a monetary donation every month (a Tithe was not stipulated), in support

    NOW,

    For MEMBERS NOT IN GOOD STANDING, you'd have to either:

    A. Explain what prevents you from either attending and/or sending an Offering and request a "Special Exception" - OR...

    B. Understand that you will be required to Pay a Fee in order to be buried in the cemetery (either in advance or at the time of death)

    Some Members were outraged that they were being called out on their lackadaisical attendance and support, while others happily complied (because, while they don't support the Church in any way, they really wanted to be buried "next to Mama").

    This was not a Support the Church or Get Out Mandate, but what we felt was a fair solution to a sticky situation.

    Were there a few (sick and shut-in) Elderly members who did not attend AND could not afford to send a monthly donation?

    Yes, and we made sure their names were at the top of the SPECIAL EXCEPTION List.

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Romans828 For This Useful Post:

    CatchyUsername (08-14-2015), FaithfulOne (08-14-2015), Femme* (08-14-2015), FresnoJoe (08-23-2015), krystian (08-14-2015), victoryword (08-14-2015)

  3. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I do agree the media will go out of their way to highlight the Christian "meanies" but that particular case aside, I think what is being discussed/debated here is the big picture, not so much that one story. Sadly, I'm sure a lot of people have lost their church home and never made headlines, just got quietly crushed.
    Certainly. However, the problem with forum debating is that we are all (yes, me included) guilty of ASSUMPTIONS!!! If a person refuses to sympathize with a story before gathering all of the facts, they are seen or painted as cold-hearted and uncaring about the elderly.

    Furthermore, too many assume that "elderly" equals "saint" and "angel". As I have shown some posts back, there are some devilish elderly people and some of them attend a church near you.

    Furthermore, some things are driven by prejudice against financial support of a church and issues with church authority. I realize that people have had bad experiences but the fact that their experience continues to color their bias lets me know that they are not able to set aside experience to deal with an issue based on Biblical clarity.

    But then again, forums and debate boards would never survive if we all set aside emotions and really thought something our BEFORE responding, would they?

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to victoryword For This Useful Post:

    BAP (08-14-2015), FresnoJoe (08-23-2015), Nikos (08-14-2015)

  5. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentecali View Post
    No thanks. I wouldn't be impressed by your money. I'm unimpressed by your attitude towards a 92 yr old

    The Pharisees tried to impress with their giving in (Matt 6 ) & John the Baptist called them vipers

    And yes, there would be hell to pay if they treated my mother this way and I WONT TAJE THAT BACK
    Well you can tell where a mans heart is by where his treasury goes cant you and since you are here beating your chest and tooting your horn about how compassionate you are it would be nice to see if your money went where your keyboard did wouldn't it ?

    If you want to believe that I don't have compassion on 92 year old knock yourself out all it says to me is you need to read what I have actually written instead of erecting strawmen to pound against :)

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to BAP For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-23-2015)

  7. #214
    Don't Ban me Bro! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    4,776
    Thanked: 3886
    Quote Originally Posted by victoryword View Post
    But then again, forums and debate boards would never survive if we all did the above, would they?
    Yeah, I guess you would just start a topic and let everyone click an "amen" button. Probably wouldn't be much fun.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

    FaithfulOne (08-14-2015), FresnoJoe (08-23-2015), krystian (08-14-2015), victoryword (08-14-2015)

  9. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    Again, this isn't about the elderly in your church. This about a lawbreaker who breaks the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulOne View Post
    So Mrs. King is a 'lawbreaker' now. This is what she's reduced to in your eyes. Wow.
    Seriously. Unbelievable.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

    curly sue (08-14-2015), FaithfulOne (08-14-2015), FresnoJoe (08-23-2015)

  11. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    Well you can tell where a mans heart is by where his treasury goes cant you and since you are here beating your chest and tooting your horn about how compassionate you are it would be nice to see if your money went where your keyboard did wouldn't it ?

    If you want to believe that I don't have compassion on 92 year old knock yourself out all it says to me is you need to read what I have actually written instead of erecting strawmen to pound against :)
    I believe in tithing and I pay mine thank you very much and I don't have to prove it to no one.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pentecali For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-23-2015)

  13. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Seriously. Unbelievable.
    Where's your faith dude?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to victoryword For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-23-2015)

  15. #218
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentecali View Post
    I believe in tithing and I pay mine thank you very much and I don't have to prove it to no one.
    Well i would hope you would give others the same grace :)

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to BAP For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-23-2015)

  17. #219
    You know I hate to say this, because it's kinda mean, but you guys really do deserve a real good mocking for some of this tomfoolery you are posting.

    Some of Nikos' comments especially come across like a really bad SNL parody. Seriously.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Nikos...I have come to understand from this thread that THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU. And no matter what we say it will either get ridiculed and mocked or misconstrued...

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CatchyUsername For This Useful Post:

    FaithfulOne (08-14-2015), FresnoJoe (08-23-2015)

  19. #220
    If you say this one more time! I'm not "presuming" anything! I can read. What in the???!!!

    I know she's a 92 year old shut in and her Church removed her from the Church roles because of it. What else do I need to know?

    This thread is like Alice In Wonderland. Yes, that's mocking, Quest. It sure is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Awesome testimony...but it proves nothing regarding this story. Why? Because you are 'presuming' this lady's condition and situation. You don't know her personally.
    Nor do you know this particular church body or the kingdom work they do or don't do.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to CatchyUsername For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (08-23-2015)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Has your Nissan Sentra warranty expired? Get a fast online quote from CarWarrantyUS today. Enjoy the open road and leave the repairs to us.