Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Free Stuff

  1. #11
    Don't Ban me Bro! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,932
    Thanked: 3079
    Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    Lol...a few years ago I was out with another friend who owned a car repair shop and they would on occassion buy vehicles at auctions to repair and flip.

    We were out and about testing one when she spotted a yard sale and stopped. Its hard to try to bargain when you pull up in a red corvette.
    How I do a garage sale:

    50 CENTS! .. That's way too low, I'll offer you a DOLLAR!

    chuckles, breaks ice.. pay the dollar.

    The rest goes easy.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Romans828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    7th Heaven
    Posts
    2,083
    Thanked: 1704
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    How I do a garage sale:

    50 CENTS! .. That's way too low, I'll offer you a DOLLAR!

    chuckles, breaks ice.. pay the dollar.

    The rest goes easy.

    Oh, that's brilliant, Brother! - -

  3. #13
    Don't Ban me Bro! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,932
    Thanked: 3079
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    Oh, that's brilliant, Brother! - -
    Sometimes I'll riff a bit.. 50 CENTS!... why that's a genuine Peruvian Elvis coaster!, I can't go any lower than a dollar for that!

  4. #14
    When I left the communal ministry in Haight-Ashbury, I had very little to furnish my apartment. I prayed for an iron and an ironing board. Within a couple of days someone put a perfectly fine ironing board out beside the apartment complex dumpster. Used it for years. As for the iron, God supplied the money just as quickly.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bookman For This Useful Post:

    John (09-05-2019)

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    How I do a garage sale:

    50 CENTS! .. That's way too low, I'll offer you a DOLLAR!

    chuckles, breaks ice.. pay the dollar.

    The rest goes easy.
    Lol...I love yard sales and especially estate sales. Do you ever resell some of the things you find?

    A few days ago my garbage hunting buddy asked if I would go with her to an estate sale that was just about to start. My preference is usually the last day of the sale where you get things cheap and can even do bundles for ridiculously low prices, but I had a little spare time so I went.

    She's really into jewelry and this place had tons, lots of tables where they had the high quality stuff in cases with glass lids, the lesser stuff was in open trays on different tables. She picked up some designer names and even sterling at decent prices while I was just killing time looking through the bins for anything that might appeal to me.

    A rather gaudy looking brooch caught my attention because it was sparkly and had a lot of rhinestones and red colors and when I flipped it over I noticed a swan imprint on the back. Since a swan makers mark means its a Swarovski crystal piece I figured I'd take a chance on it if the price wasn't too high.

    Turns out the tray I got it out of was on the $5 - $10 table and the cashier said it was $8 so I bought it. On the ride home I was trying to find some sold comps on it but couldn't find any...however I did find a couple listings on ebay where they're being offered for sale for around $350. :)

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

    Romans828 (09-06-2019)

  8. #16
    Don't Ban me Bro! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,932
    Thanked: 3079
    Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    Lol...I love yard sales and especially estate sales. Do you ever resell some of the things you find?
    Yes. Usually when I get something that really, really should not go the dump but I have no interest in owning. I'll typically price it at 1/2 price comp or retail to move it along quicky, the buyer can make a buck on it as well. I use Craigslist, cash only, ebay is full of scammer buyers. I don't do much at all, but that's how I do it when I do.

    I picked up an old switchblade knife not too long ago from a garage sale, it was in a box of old tools and parts for 5 bucks for the box. Turns out it is a vintage Italian worth about $400.00. Of course I won't be selling that.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

    krystian (09-05-2019)

  10. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Yes. Usually when I get something that really, really should not go the dump but I have no interest in owning. I'll typically price it at 1/2 price comp or retail to move it along quicky, the buyer can make a buck on it as well. I use Craigslist, cash only, ebay is full of scammer buyers. I don't do much at all, but that's how I do it when I do.

    I picked up an old switchblade knife not too long ago from a garage sale, it was in a box of old tools and parts for 5 bucks for the box. Turns out it is a vintage Italian worth about $400.00. Of course I won't be selling that.
    I don't do ebay altho on occassion my friend who does will list something for me. I do put some things on Marketplace and OfferUp tho.

    This is the brooch I got...I kinda like it now but just not my style.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-S...EAAOSwtj5bQtjd

  11. #18
    Don't Ban me Bro! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    3,932
    Thanked: 3079
    Quote Originally Posted by krystian View Post
    I don't do ebay altho on occassion my friend who does will list something for me. I do put some things on Marketplace and OfferUp tho.

    This is the brooch I got...I kinda like it now but just not my style.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-S...EAAOSwtj5bQtjd
    Very nice find!

    I found an unusual and very expensive part one time and did do ebay on that, it worked out but I'm still not a big fan of selling on that platform.

  12. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Very nice find!
    Thanks. Wanna hear the epilogue? They had so many left over things that they extended the sale one more day as a 75% off blowout sale. So I went knowing things would be pretty well picked over but that there are usually still treasures to be found.

    I wound up getting a box full of gardening things, some brand new in the box Hallmark Christmas ornaments and other goodies including a necklace no one wanted all for $10. Can't belive no one looked at the back of the necklace, I saw the word Givenchy and grabbed it. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images Free Stuff-20190903_151323-jpg 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •