Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 71

Thread: Picking

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Yes, tobogganing is the real deal, we had a dam with a steep slope that leveled and then went steep again, it was essentially a ramp system. Very few would go over the ramp, you would just be moving too fast so standard procedure was to ditch just before going airborne. One night 3 of of us decided to just do it, go full tilt off the ramp. The first two chickened out and ditched, my turn came and I just held it steady, I couldn't see anything about halfway down due to snow blowback so I just closed my eyes, relaxed and all of a sudden, whoosh, total silence, in the air. We landed nicely and I still couldn't see anything so I ditched it. But yeah, some of those rides are unforgettable.
    ***singing*** "...the sound of silence"

  2. #22
    For the past 5 months I have excitedly awaited this. Muriel's brother is a home inspector and has opportunity to see amazing bikes, which he enjoys texting me pics of. Not many are obtainable. Until now. Last July he found an unbelievable 1898 Glenwood out of the "safety bike" era when true bicycles came available as an improvement to the High-Wheelers and Pennyfarthings. I asked him if he could pursue it and he advised me it may be possible but I must be patient.

    We moved back to Boyne in October and I reopened and relit my bikeshop passion. As for that 120yr old bicycle? Well, I pretty much shelved the excitement and Muriel's brother had not said a peep about it.

    Then came Christmas Eve, we arrive back home after a festive night with family and all is quiet. My wife asked that I stay outside for a moment. Ok. By then, I knew some kind of surprise awaited me. I just never in my wildest dreams imagined seeing THIS....

    Picking-c7d926cf-8746-4b2c-90bf-ca6ff182f751-jpg
    Picking-43742e45-05ea-4801-b26f-25c0bf5a8e6e-jpg

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to FireBrand For This Useful Post:

    Highly Favoured (12-28-2019)

  4. #23
    So now you'll recondition it? I guess that's your version of me finding a signed first edition of "To Kill a Mockingbird."

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bookman For This Useful Post:

    FireBrand (12-27-2019)

  6. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    So now you'll recondition it? I guess that's your version of me finding a signed first edition of "To Kill a Mockingbird."
    Pert near! This really belongs in a museum. I'll be doing a strongly advised preservation as opposed to a restoration due to the historical value vs collector's value. But I will ride it.

  7. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    So now you'll recondition it? I guess that's your version of me finding a signed first edition of "To Kill a Mockingbird."
    We have a restaurant I eat at at leas once a week north of Atlanta called the OK Cafe, named after the place in that book. They actually have a letter on the wall from the author to the owners, etc. I can't remember the content and such, next time I'm there I'll take a close up pic and post it for you.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

    Bookman (12-27-2019)

  9. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    Pert near! This really belongs in a museum. I'll be doing a strongly advised preservation as opposed to a restoration due to the historical value vs collector's value. But I will ride it.
    You could probably make a little money by writing it up for a Bicycling magazine. Pictures, of course.

  10. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    You could probably make a little money by writing it up for a Bicycling magazine. Pictures, of course.
    Probably right. You just don't see these every day. The bikes from the 1920-50's are frequently seen but as the one veteran collector/enthusiast at the forum specifically dealing with the pre-WWII bikes said, "That's a really old bike". I visited my bike dealership friend here in town and he was totally unaware of the 1890's Bike Boom.

  11. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    Probably right. You just don't see these every day. The bikes from the 1920-50's are frequently seen but as the one veteran collector/enthusiast at the forum specifically dealing with the pre-WWII bikes said, "That's a really old bike". I visited my bike dealership friend here in town and he was totally unaware of the 1890's Bike Boom.
    Writer guidelines for one of the magazines:

    About Bicycling

  12. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    Writer guidelines for one of the magazines:

    About Bicycling
    Thank you!

  13. #30
    Senior Member Highly Favoured's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    SE Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanked: 997
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBrand View Post
    For the past 5 months I have excitedly awaited this. Muriel's brother is a home inspector and has opportunity to see amazing bikes, which he enjoys texting me pics of. Not many are obtainable. Until now. Last July he found an unbelievable 1898 Glenwood out of the "safety bike" era when true bicycles came available as an improvement to the High-Wheelers and Pennyfarthings. I asked him if he could pursue it and he advised me it may be possible but I must be patient.

    We moved back to Boyne in October and I reopened and relit my bikeshop passion. As for that 120yr old bicycle? Well, I pretty much shelved the excitement and Muriel's brother had not said a peep about it.

    Then came Christmas Eve, we arrive back home after a festive night with family and all is quiet. My wife asked that I stay outside for a moment. Ok. By then, I knew some kind of surprise awaited me. I just never in my wildest dreams imagined seeing THIS....

    Picking-c7d926cf-8746-4b2c-90bf-ca6ff182f751-jpg
    Picking-43742e45-05ea-4801-b26f-25c0bf5a8e6e-jpg
    Let me tell you.... he wanted your address. I said, "I don't know." I said you can tell where he kind of lives from his Strava app rides. He says that's no good. So, I say, are you FB friends with the wife? He says yes. FB Message her. He does. And it all goes from there. That's my very small involvement in all of this. I'm so happy though, that this bike found a loving home and that a preservation is in store for it. Be Blessed, FB, you deserve all the richness and fullness!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
You can avoid major, expensive repair costs with an extended service plan for your Toyota. Service contracts are available for all Toyota models including the best selling Toyota Camry.