Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Wendy's torched in Atlanta after Rayshard Brooks death

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    And I'm pretty sure that if this had been your son, brother, father, uncle,or nephew, that you might feel a little different about the whole "shoot-a-fleeing-suspect-in-the-back" thing.
    Isn't that getting into a "situation ethics" sort of scenario? (I've heard of folks changing their mind on homosexuality if someone they know, particularly a child, starts in the perversion).

    Wrong is always wrong. Sin is always sin.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to FunFromOz For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (06-16-2020)

  3. #22
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,107
    Thanked: 5515
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    They guy was running and drunk and turned around and tried to shoot it, it appeared. While on the run. And he had already turned back and started running away again when shot. So, if he's running away, and you're going to shoot, and he's not actually coming at you, just try and hit him in the leg or something. I mean I'm all for suing deadly force if it's warranted. IMO it just didn't seem so in this instance.

    And again, I have no idea what it's like to be a cop in a circumstance like this.
    At this point I think I would have liked to see a video of what actually happened before attempting to conclude anything. It seems plausible that the cops found themselves in a potentially deadly situation as he turned around and tried to tase them, then they fired at him after that situation had basically been resolved, after he had missed and started running away again. Instead of reassessing the situation and recognizing that the situation has become less dangerous, they fire based on an emotional reaction to what happened previously, the attempted tasing.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (06-16-2020)

  5. #23
    Administrator fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    13,401
    Thanked: 11293
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    At this point I think I would have liked to see a video of what actually happened before attempting to conclude anything. It seems plausible that the cops found themselves in a potentially deadly situation as he turned around and tried to tase them, then they fired at him after that situation had basically been resolved, after he had missed and started running away again. Instead of reassessing the situation and recognizing that the situation has become less dangerous, they fire based on an emotional reaction to what happened previously, the attempted tasing.
    There is a video. It's clear. He just turned around to tase him while he was running and then turned back around and kept running and was shot when he turned back around to keep running. The video was in this thread I believe. I can't look back to see because I'm on my phone while posting this.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to fuego For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (06-16-2020)

  7. #24
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,107
    Thanked: 5515
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    There is a video. It's clear. He just turned around to tase him while he was running and then turned back around and kept running and was shot when he turned back around to keep running. The video was in this thread I believe. I can't look back to see because I'm on my phone while posting this.
    I found it in post #5. He turns around within tasing range, the shot goes over the cop's head then he turns around again and is shot within 1-2 seconds. Difficult to tell exactly what to make out of it. If the taser can be used only once or if he can try again later matters.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    Ezekiel 33 (06-16-2020)

  9. #25
    Senior Member Ezekiel 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan
    Posts
    3,631
    Thanked: 2620
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    Is there justification for shooting a guy that's running off with a taser period? It appears he did turn around and try to tase him. But you're going to trade a life for getting shocked? Yeah obviously, if he had of tased him then he could've taken his weapon and killed him. It's a real dilemma. I can't purport to know how an officer really feels in a situation that is escalated like that when him and his fellow officer basically just got overcome by one guy and he's running off with a taser. No matter how we're trained, it's a highly emotional and volatile situation. It's very hard to judge these situations And to know how we would act in the same situation.

    I do believe that's one reason why the mayor shouldn't have fired the person without knowing all the circumstances and not watching video. That's a very reactionary thing to do just because of the current climate. It's not a simple black-and-white situation (no pun intended) that can just be judged and handled immediately.
    If he tazes you, then he could take your firearm and really wreak havoc. It is a hard call, but you must keep him from overpowering you and taking your weapon and endangering others. That is your job.

    So sad that he resisted and it cost him his life, and made a mess out of the officer's life. Not only did the cop lose his job, but he has to live with the fact that he took a human life.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ezekiel 33 For This Useful Post:

    Colonel (06-16-2020)

  11. #26
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,107
    Thanked: 5515
    I couldn't find a mention of which model of Taser the Atlanta cops used but there are several models that allow multiple shots that are used by law enforcement in the US. So it seems likely that the fleeing man was still dangerous, even potentially deadly as Ezekiel 33 and myself have pointed out. Unless he dropped the taser after missing the first shot, which I cannot tell from the video. If he was indeed still potentially deadly then the cop was simply doing his job when he neutralized him. Kill or get killed.
    Last edited by Colonel; 06-17-2020 at 09:30 AM.

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by fuego View Post
    ...I do believe that's one reason why the mayor shouldn't have fired the person without knowing all the circumstances and not watching video. That's a very reactionary thing to do just because of the current climate. It's not a simple black-and-white situation (no pun intended) that can just be judged and handled immediately.
    That bothers me a lot too. Same thing with the George Floyd firings...and I was furious, livid, when I first saw the photos of them kneeling on him, but to fire them immediately? There obviously was no time for any type of thorough investigations. It's like now thanks to the media sensationalizing everything everyone wants to be a quick judge jury and executioner.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krystian For This Useful Post:

    Colonel (06-17-2020), Ezekiel 33 (06-17-2020)

  14. #28
    So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,103
    Thanked: 5493
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    And I'm pretty sure that if this had been your son, brother, father, uncle,or nephew, that you might feel a little different about the whole "shoot-a-fleeing-suspect-in-the-back" thing.
    Around here they shoot white people in the back too.


  15. The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

    Romans828 (06-17-2020)

  16. #29
    Senior Member Ezekiel 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Northern Lower Michigan
    Posts
    3,631
    Thanked: 2620
    Quote Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
    Better to be in prison than dead, I suppose?
    I have always thought that I would rather be dead than in prison.

  17. #30
    Administrator fuego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    13,401
    Thanked: 11293
    Blog Entries
    1
    'Higher than usual number' of Atlanta officers call out of work hours after the Fulton County District Attorney announced criminal charges for two accused in the death of Rayshard Brooks

    Looks like a little 'blue flu' going on.

    BREAKING: ‘Higher than usual number’ of Atlanta officers call...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •