Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 395

Thread: So I just heard TD Jakes tell a couple to get divorced...

  1. #331
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    It's worse than that, BAP :

    1 Cor 7:5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

    Read according to the letter and without regard for the sum of scripture, we may conclude the following :

    1) Separation is only allowed in order to give oneself to fasting and prayer, no other intent is scriptural
    2) After that has come to an end (fasting for more than 50 days is hardly recommended) the wife not only has to return to her abuser but she also has to have sex with him
    3) In fact, she will have to return whenever her abuser feels tempted to have sex elsewhere, which could well be within a few hours
    Lol

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to BAP For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-29-2015)

  3. #332
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,863
    Thanked: 3342
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    The abuse in my marriage was not a straw man...it was horribly real and painful and terrifying.

    Learn mercy, Quest.
    The argument posed as the end all of this topic is the strawman..not your experience..

    God who is the God of mercy authored His Word.. I am sympathetic that you were in an abusive relationship..but I learned that experience does not determine truth so despite the fact that I know some have had really bad experiences speaking the truth that sets us free is a necessity for me.

    Had I known you then and had an opportunity to come along side you through that I would have encouraged you to seek safety and remain submitted and prayerful to the Lord who promises to work all things for your good and allow HIM to deal with your husband in whatever manner HE saw fit..
    To let love for God and husband rule your heart and trust GOD to intervene...not divorce.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-29-2015)

  5. #333
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,863
    Thanked: 3342
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    Have you ever known a psychopathic person who is filled with rage? Have you lived in fear for your safety...your very life?
    Does that change the truth of God's word, wisdom and power? No...

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-29-2015)

  7. #334
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,863
    Thanked: 3342
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    That isn't always possible. Not in the United States of yesteryear, and not in many parts of the third world.
    Colonel...question...what difference does divorce make? Does it make a woman safer than separation? No..if a woman is involved with a dangerous spouse she actually ONLY HAS God to lead and protect her...

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-29-2015)

  9. #335
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,863
    Thanked: 3342
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    Well using Madam Quests Myopic Line of reasoning what scripture do You have to say that it is ok to seperate for a season due to safety ?? ..The only scripture I know of urging separation was for the purpose of praying and fasting .Do you have a verse supporting your line of reasoning ? You should stay there and let him punch you to bits .. that way you will show him that you love him. When he hits you on the left Jaw , Turn the right Jaw afterall Jesus said turn the other cheek didn't he ?

    What happened to all the Power of God you have been preaching to us about since Page 1 ? Cant it sustain you so much so that you have to urge separation ?

    Cant the power of God keep you or protect you while you are being abused ? While you are being beat up and smashed in the mug ???
    Oh ye Quest of little faith full of human reasoning you are ignoring the plain text of scripture ..:)

    Doesn't he promise us Supernatural Peace even when walking through the valley of the shadow of death ? ... Now you are counseling people to separate for a season. What covenant allows us to separate for a season? When separated, is the covenant suspended or in limbo or what ? .

    As you said to us at the Onset you must know not the Power of God ...


    There are no scriptures regarding separation...but I do believe the Lord has often led His children to safety and hid them from danger...so it is in His character and as Colonel stated, the whole of scripture..
    Had there been any specifics regarding separation they would have been relied upon...since there are none, we then move to the third layer of interpretation of scripture..God's character and past actions..

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-29-2015)

  11. #336
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,074
    Thanked: 5486
    Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    Lol
    It's quite amazing what a straightforward contextless letter oriented reading of scripture actually produces and that is just one example.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-29-2015)

  13. #337
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,863
    Thanked: 3342
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    It's worse than that, BAP :

    1 Cor 7:5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

    Read according to the letter and without regard for the sum of scripture, we may conclude the following :

    1) Separation is only allowed in order to give oneself to fasting and prayer, no other intent is scriptural
    2) After that has come to an end (fasting for more than 50 days is hardly recommended) the wife not only has to return to her abuser but she also has to have sex with him
    3) In fact, she will have to return whenever her abuser feels tempted to have sex elsewhere, which could well be within a few hours
    Absolutely...and that would be the reason for the separation...to fast and pray and align oneself with the heart and mind of God...just as when in any struggle we get weary and lose our perspective..this is most often the time someone will give up and divorce...instead they should give themselves more diligently to allow God to heal the wounds, forgive, restore love...give direction..

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-29-2015)

  15. #338
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,074
    Thanked: 5486
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Colonel...question...what difference does divorce make? Does it make a woman safer than separation? No..if a woman is involved with a dangerous spouse she actually ONLY HAS God to lead and protect her...
    Technically, remarriage may lend some protection, especially in some areas of the world. An actual divorce might also lead her original household to do a lot more to protect her than separation would since she would then still be married to the man. It depends where in the world this is taking place.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-29-2015)

  17. #339
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,074
    Thanked: 5486
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Absolutely...and that would be the reason for the separation...to fast and pray and align oneself with the heart and mind of God...just as when in any struggle we get weary and lose our perspective..this is most often the time someone will give up and divorce...instead they should give themselves more diligently to allow God to heal the wounds, forgive, restore love...give direction..
    That sounds like you are advocating fasting during separation in order to make that qualify according to the letter of 1 Cor 7:5, but the fasting and prayer isn't the intent of the separation, getting away from the husband for a time is the intent, which means it doesn't qualify according to the letter. In any case, the letter of the scripture dictates that the husband can demand that the wife returns any time he feels sexually tempted. This is what happens when the letter is applied across the board and not just with your selected divorce scriptures.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-29-2015)

  19. #340
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,863
    Thanked: 3342
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    Lol
    Yea...God didn't think of all these terrible scenarios when He gave us the inerrant guidelines of scripture...and at least He certainly knew we would encounter things He did not provide a GODLY solution for so He gave us guidelines He knew we could not keep and then said, My will is optional...you figure it out..

    I bet He didn't know what terrible enemies we would encounter when He told us to do the impossible and love our enemies and do good to them...I know He is looking down now and shaking His head saying, wow...I didn't realize they were going to encounter such terrible things when I told them that..even I can't help them with THAT..

    There are no scenarios anyone can conjure up that God has not made provision for so when Jesus stated the only grounds was infidelity and even then it's the hardness of your heart He KNEW GOD is more than able to provide what we need in any of these scenarios without violating His will...

    The simple fact is...we don't want to

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-29-2015)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Has your Ford Mustang warranty warranty expired? Get a fast online quote from CarWarrantyUS today. Enjoy the open road and leave the repairs to us.