Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 395

Thread: So I just heard TD Jakes tell a couple to get divorced...

  1. #141
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,863
    Thanked: 3342
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    Ah the voice of legalism :)


    What genuine biblical reason do we have that Satan tempted Eve in the garden . My bible says the Serpent did . Says nothing about Satan
    What Biblical REASONS does the scripture give for divorce? What other passages add to or correct what Jesus stated? Moses said you can divorce because of your hardened hearts but in the beginning it was not so..GOD...

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)

  3. #142
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,863
    Thanked: 3342
    Blog Entries
    2
    I don't understand...when Jesus stated that we are to love our enemies and forgive...do you justify hating someone? If not, why not? Just because Jesus said it, doesn't make it LAW does it?

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)

  5. #143
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,038
    Thanked: 5450
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    I don't understand...when Jesus stated that we are to love our enemies and forgive...do you justify hating someone? If not, why not? Just because Jesus said it, doesn't make it LAW does it?
    Hate is a sin of the heart, there isn't much to discuss there. Except definitions of the word involved, "hate". Some will claim that this kind of "hate" is ok, that kind of "hate" is not.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)

  7. #144
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,863
    Thanked: 3342
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    Hate is a sin of the heart, there isn't much to discuss there. Except definitions of the word involved, "hate". Some will claim that this kind of "hate" is ok, that kind of "hate" is not.
    So is 'hardness of the heart'.

    Yep...the same way Jesus and Paul's words regarding divorce and remarriage 'mean something else'...

    Mankind hates the narrow message of scripture regarding marriage, divorce and remarriage for the very reason Jesus pointed to..the hardness of the heart..

    We could discuss all the motives for justification but it's irrelevant...either we really do adhere to scripture or we don't.

    The Biblical expectation of divorce and remarriage is tough..that's why the disciples responded the way they did...it's better to not marry at all..Jesus let them know that that is a choice to be a eunuch and it not a viable choice for some..

    Today no one responds to that passage with, 'It's better not to marry!' Mainly because it's taught very differently today.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)

  9. #145
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,038
    Thanked: 5450
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    either we really do adhere to scripture or we don't.
    We should adhere to scripture. There are however several ways we should not adhere to scripture. Simply adhering to it according to the letter is one of the ways we should not adhere to it.

    2 Cor 3:6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

    Haven't you learned a thing from that passage ?

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)

  11. #146
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,863
    Thanked: 3342
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    We should adhere to scripture. There are however several ways we should not adhere to scripture. Simply adhering to it according to the letter is one of the ways we should not adhere to it.

    2 Cor 3:6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

    Haven't you learned a thing from that passage ?
    Absolutely...I learned that what God tells us He gave Jesus do, die so that we could be enabled to do it....that He never asks of us what can't be done if we rely and obey HIM by faith.


    So how does one adhere to love their enemies? The same way one adheres to love his wife as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it..by faithful submission and obedience to the leading of the Holy Spirit. How does one fail? By allowing their hearts to be hardened...

    If the church would return to teaching what Jesus said and what Paul said as THE truth accompanied with the reality that God's great love never fails and that we can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens us and that His Spirit of wisdom and revelation can work miracles if we yield in faith..they would see far more marriages miraculously restored and far less children lost..

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)

  13. #147
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,038
    Thanked: 5450
    If the letter kills then how is it that the Spirit is going to give you life enabling you to follow scripture according to the letter so that the letter can then kill you again ?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)

  15. #148
    Super Moderator Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Ashville, Alabama
    Posts
    5,863
    Thanked: 3342
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    If the letter kills then how is it that the Spirit is going to give you life enabling you to follow scripture according to the letter so that the letter can then kill you again ?
    Love your enemies...that is 'letter'.

    That letter reveals our need...kills.

    Paul said the scripture came and I died...truth reveals our need of HIM...Once the Spirit makes that truth alive we don't die again...we live that truth manifesting that life...the letter kills the flesh and the Spirit gives the life...the life being His empowerment to be as He is...

    Love your enemies reveals our hate and our fear and our selfishness...The Spirit enables us to love our enemies bring life...transformation..

    You can have the last word..I yield the floor..

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Quest For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)

  17. #149
    Senior Member Colonel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    14,038
    Thanked: 5450
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest View Post
    Love your enemies...that is 'letter'.

    That letter reveals our need...kills.

    Paul said the scripture came and I died...truth reveals our need of HIM...Once the Spirit makes that truth alive we don't die again...we live that truth manifesting that life...the letter kills the flesh and the Spirit gives the life...the life being His empowerment to be as He is...

    Love your enemies reveals our hate and our fear and our selfishness...The Spirit enables us to love our enemies bring life...transformation..

    You can have the last word..I yield the floor..
    The letter kills the flesh ? It does not say that. To the contrary it calls the ministry of the old covenant the ministry of death and condemnation, referencing back to the ministry of the letter which is what the law was about :

    7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones
    9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory

    The old covenant ministry of the law, the letter and condemnation did not "kill the flesh". To the contrary, it vivified sin in the flesh so that the flesh became very much alive in sin and instead the person died in that sin, per Romans 7.

    Romans 7:6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

    The fact that "we do not serve in the old way of the letter" demonstrates already that the letter does not kill the flesh, why do away with something useful ?

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colonel For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-26-2015), Michelle (09-22-2015)

  19. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Lively Stone View Post
    Revelation 20:2
    He seized the dragon—that old serpent, who is the devil, Satan—and bound him in chains for a thousand years.
    Uh Oh now he is a Dragon ? was it a dragon who tempted eve or a serpent ? See the bible contradicts itself :) :)

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to BAP For This Useful Post:

    FresnoJoe (09-26-2015)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Stop worrying about expensive repair bills with an extended service plan for your Nissan. We have warranties available for all Nissan models including the popular Nissan Altima.